The New Jersey Alpha Chapter of the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity can trace its origins all the way back to February of 1908. Three students, who did not like the aristocratic culture of the existing fraternities on campus, founded the local fraternity Phi Kappa Pi. Phi Kappa Pi existed only until February 22, 1924, when it joined with nine other local fraternities to form a national fraternity: Theta Upsilon Omega. A lack of expansion due to the Great Depression led to Theta Upsilon Omega merging with Sigma Phi Epsilon. On May 7, 1938, the New Jersey Alpha Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon was officially chartered.
Throughout the following decades, NJA experienced many highs and lows. Chapter size fluctuated from as low as 11 to as high as 102. In 1947, NJA moved into its current house at 530 Hudson St. Later, in 1969 528 Hudson St was bought and moved into. Also in 1969, NJA won its first ever Buchanan Cup, an award given out every two years to outstanding chapters. NJA would go on to win again in 1971. The final addition to the property came in 1990, when a two-story extension was built in the courtyard.
Due to various reasons, NJA lost its charter in January of 2003. Thanks to overwhelming support from alumni and SigEp nationals, NJA was able to reopen in February of 2004, and was re-chartered on May 12, 2007. Since re-chartering in 2007, NJA has won 6 consecutive Buchanan Cups, with the two most recent being the coveted Gold Buchanan Cup. NJA has a long history, and is looking forward to a bright future.